Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A New Form of Sexism That Women Won’t Mind

As many of you may already be aware, the word ‘bromance’ has now been added to Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary (the interesting thing is that I will have to now add it to my laptop’s dictionary). The official definition is a close nonsexual friendship between men, which seems like an oddly tame definition to me, considering some of the passionate bromances I have seen portrayed on television and film.

This is a perfect example of the increasing popularity of transforming similar words into new words by replacing the first three letters with ‘bro’. Examples of this include:

-Broseidon, Lord of the Brocean

-brotassium

-1985 Texas State Brodeo Champion

Men have the opportunity to engage in this lighthearted/insufferable banter, and I suppose some might argue that women should be able to do the same thing. The most obvious choice for this is using ‘sis’, short for sister.

But I think this is probably a situation where there will be no protests about gender inequality, and I have two reasons for this.

#1: Even though I really enjoy exercising my creativity and coming up with new bro words, it can get annoying. So I imagine that the same thing might happen with sis.

#2: I imagine that sis words will get annoying a lot quicker than bro words. Why? Because it’s really difficult to come up with words/phrases, and what is there is awful. These are some that I came up with:

-sistematic theology

-sistic fibrosis

-sisboomba

-sistemic lead poisoning

Now, imagine calling a woman any of those. Doesn’t matter what your gender, you will get stabbed. Your attempt at lightheartedness will end poorly.

So what’s the point of all of this? Maybe it’s that it’s safest to call someone by their name, instead of increasingly elaborate and silly nicknames. Unless their name is Turdlington. Then it’s okay to think of something else.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the Detroit Sistons. Don't sisunderstand me, I'm not trying to siss you off. I would hate to have to face your sists of fury.

    ReplyDelete