Thursday, June 23, 2011

True Love Waits…And Waits, and Waits Some More.

I have a deep seated belief that for many of life’s situations, there is an analogy based on something from The Simpsons. There is an episode where Homer is cast on Itchy and Scratchy as the voice of Poochy, a hip, in-your-face kung fu gangster surfer dog. In Poochy’s first cartoon, Itchy and Scratchy are on their way to a fireworks factory when they have their first meeting, which consists of Poochy rapping about how cool he is. It goes on and on. Finally, Millhouse, practically in tears, screams, ‘When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?!’

And that is how I often feel about marriage and sex.

Now, I’m not writing to discuss what the Bible has to say about sex. I believe that the Bible teaches that sex belongs between a husband and wife, and that’s it.

What I am writing about is how difficult it can be to hold to that. Notice how I didn’t say ‘in this day and age’; I’m pretty sure that maintaining sexual purity has always been a challenge. P.S. Being single does not eliminate the problem; it’s just different and kind of creepier.

But anywho, sex is everywhere these days. It’s on TV, in magazines, and on cereal boxes (I am beginning to suspect that Tony the Tiger is actually a furry). American society, and the west as a whole, give a lot of messages about sexual activity, which often conflict in one way or another, but agree that it’s really up to the individual what to do with your body.

The thing is, it is my choice. And I am choosing to admit that I have a great capacity for foolishness and that God knows better than I do. If God says to do or not do something, He has a reason for saying it. Because He’s God, and He’s smarter than me.

But knowing that you are taking steps in the right direction does not make the journey any easier.

So what is it that keeps me going, or not going, as it were? For one thing, I look at how well it works out for people when they go with their own plans for sex and not God’s. It’s not that God can’t or doesn’t restore us after we’ve sinned, but I’d rather not go through any extra crap.

But there are other issues at hand in this. I don’t think the issue is really ‘Am I ever going to have sex?’ or ‘Am I going to be alone the rest of my life?’ I think the question is ‘Do I trust that God is good and that He knows what I need?’ Do I trust that God loves me and wants to give me what is best, and that that might not be exactly what I think it should be right now? And, ultimately, I have to ask what I value more; do I want God the creator more than His creation?

In the section of Matthew known as the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus tells us not to worry (Matt. 6:25-34). Jesus reminds us that the birds do not work or store up food, but he provides them food and drink. The lilies of the field are beautifully dressed, so we should not worry about clothes. These are the things that the world worries about. We are to put God’s Kingdom first, and the things that we need will be provided.

So when I keep all this in mind, for myself I have to add ‘Therefore do not worry about who you will make out with, or whether or not you will sleep alone for the rest of your life. Do not worry about sex, for sex will worry about itself.’

I don’t know how coherent any of this is, but I think about this a lot. I have to trust that God has created everything with a proper time, place, and context. I am choosing to believe that a deeper and more intimate relationship with God should be of the highest priority. And that if He wants me to be married, it will happen, and if He doesn’t I won’t. Although the idea of God calling me to permanent celibacy does kind of tick me off, to which a friend told me that that’s probably a sign that He hasn’t done that.

Oh well. Time will tell.







1 comment:

  1. Love this post. So much so that I will not put an 'I' before 'Love'. Thanks for being to the point.

    ReplyDelete