Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What this is all about (what the title means).

I had something that was on the way to being semi-thoughtful written out and then I pressed the wrong button and totally lost what I was writing. Which is the kind of thing that happens to me a lot. So I will try to be brief and awesome all at the same time, which only has a 78.9% chance of taking place. So before an explanation of the title, some reasons for doing this.
1. I have a lot of odd ideas that I need to write down so I don't forget them.
2. I need a creative outlet that I am actually plugged into.
3. My friend Jackie says I should write a book, and while this isn't a book, it is a start.

So what is A Beautiful Weirdness all about? Notice how it's capitalized here but nowhere else? Capitalizing things just makes me feel cool. Anywho, there a few reasons that I have chosen it as the blog's title.

Although there are a few different things I could say about where this title comes from, I am going to instead tell a story. In the weekend of May 20-22nd, a lot of rather crappy things happened in Minnesota, where I live. I expect that most of the readers who will see this will be friends and accquaintances and therefore already know that, so if you didn't shame on you(?)(I guess.)

It was a bad weekend. On Friday the 20th, in Osakis (a town east of Alexandria, where I live, tsk tsk, shame on you, again), a woman came home for her lunch break and was beaten to death by the man who had broken in to her home to rob it. On Sunday the 22nd there was a tornado in Minneapolis. And more personal for me, my mother went into the hospital after finally admitting to my dad that vomiting blood was a good reason to go to the emergency room.

It was a rough week. The vericose veins that were on my mother's asophagus leaked about 2 quarts of blood into her stomach, the doctors put about 5 units of blood back into her. We took three separated trips to the St. Cloud hospital where she had been transferred, and it really killed my desire to go back there just to look around at Barnes and Noble like I have been known to do in the past.

On the Wednesday of that week I experienced a moment of beautiful weirdness (finally he's getting to the title, the imaginary reader says). St. Cloud now has a White Castle, and my dad and younger brother and I had never eaten at one before. So we went in, and place our order for a lot of tiny hamburgers.

There was an all 70's radio station playing. Just before they called my name to get the food, 'Gotta Fly Now', aka the theme from Rocky started to play. No joke. I kind of imagine myself eating those burgers again, only now I'm in a grey sweatsuit. Immediately after that, they began to play 'I'm On Top of the World' by the Carpenters(?). You know, 'I'm on top of the world, lookin' down down on creation, and the only explanation I can find...' That one.

Songs of triumph and joy played as we ate those tiny, greasy burgers, crinkle fries, and drank their medium pops, which are 32 ounces, booyah. It was like Harold and Kumar, except far less filthy and full of drugs.

Things like that generally don't happen in real life. Movie like things happen to me a lot, but I make them happen. This came out of nowhere, and I believe it was a gift from God. The Bible has so many verses where God tells us that he knows what he need, and that we can trust him to provide for us. I confess that I was not, and am not right now, totally feeling that trusting in God.

God knows our needs, and I think what I needed right then was just to laugh, and experience something out of the ordinary. To have something beautifully weird happen and to have it take me completely by surprise, without my own doing.

That is what I want A Beautiful Weirdness to be about: Sharing the things the things that God has taught me through strange circumstances. Using the way God has wired my brain to bring to His truth in a way you've might not have thought about it before. Saying ridiculous things. Trying not to rip off Jon Acuff to terribley. That is what a beautiful weirdness is all about.

2 comments:

  1. at least you're not like all those other old guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you started a blog! It makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete